Prerequisite: Basic mathematics in high school level
Introduction of the mathematics that is needed for a thorough,
well-grounded understanding of computer programs; share the
pleasure of mathematical beauty and surprise.
CONCRETE MATHEMATICS, Graham, Knuth and Patashnik 1989.
Your grade will be based on one small exams (20%), a final exam (60%), and homework (20%). Exams must be taken at the announced time in class. Homework assignments
must be submitted on time to receive credit.
Grading scale (+/- grades may be assigned at my discretion):
B 70- 80 C 60- 70
D 0- 59
Last day to drop this class: April 20
Course Topics (subject to change)
An introduction to concrete mathematics
- Classical recurrent problems
Notation and general techniques about summation
- Floors, ceilings and modular operation
- Properties of integers: divisibility, primality, gcd.
- Binomial coefficients, basic indentities, generating fuctions
- Special numbers: Stirling numbers, Eulerian numbers,
Harmonic numbers, Bernoulli numbers, Fibonacci numbers
- Generating functions and its application to the
solution of recurrence relatations
- Approximate solutions
Sequential data files and database programming
Return to Zhi's Home